Wednesday, November 28, 2012

In the labyrinth of addled mind

Zaka 

“I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between ― Sylvia Plath ”


No matter how passionate you might be about your life, you may find yourself dragging once in a while and if you don’t make an effort to address it right away,  you could wake up one day and realize months have gone by and you’re still stuck….! 

Doing nothing often gives me too much time to ponder things that I would rather shove into the mental trash bin, where we tend to put unfinished businesses for an appropriate time. The lack of motivation, direction or the feeling that everything doesn’t seem to go right, all bring me to a state called mood swings. It is quite a familiar territory for me, where the mind moves to-and-fro looking for a temporary refuge. There is no permanent dwelling for the mental state, it wanders looking for peace it may never find. 

Our mind has enough explosives to demolish every tendril of its thoughts and yet we leave the doors of mental faculties ajar and accumulate unwanted provocations. Is there any way to keep the adversary thoughts at bay? 

The core of our wellbeing perhaps depends on our ability to flush out unwanted feelings; albeit, it is easy to say than doing it. In such state of mental demolition only one thing can save you. Embark on the road of selfishness. The mental stress disappears when you only have to think of yourself and the rest can burn in the eternal fires. Giving yourself a priority and not the welfare of others restrict the traffic to the channel of thoughts. It should not be exactly a one-way street but a few barriers on the right places can pay a good dividend or a certain degree of selfishness may be the only way forward when the roof threatens to cave in, After all, you mend your fence first before you consider fixing your neighbor’s. 

Sometimes, it pays to give the pendulum a rest. When the wild swings that knocks the hell out of the sides stops, you begin to see things in their proper perspective. While we cannot completely disregard family obligations and professional problems, at least they can stay in the queue for a while. 

In a nutshell, there is no obvious remedy and that’s why they keep building hospitals that have the back entrance to the cemeteries. At least the final destination is peaceful, or so we hope it would be. As for me, I am caught between selfishness and consideration for others, a limbo that many of us are trapped in. 


4 comments:

  1. yeah i kinda feel like this sometimes..
    Jane - London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, all I can say right now is that I stumbled across it, and this is exactly what I needed to hear (read) right now!
    “I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.”
    Sylvia Plath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written as usual my friend. I would say yes, you have to take care of yourself first because if you feel needy you cannot help others properly. If you rest in yourself and are at peace and grounded you can give from your heart. That is the nicest state for me: When giving becomes a pleasure!

    Keep writing and sharing directly as I sometimes get lost in the maze of social media and work. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete